Friday, July 17, 2026

BATTLE OF TURIN 1706 - FRENCH REGIMENT LA FEUILLADE

 The regiment was raised on 1 January 1704 by Louis d’Aubusson, Duc de La Feuillade, who became its first colonel. During the War of the Spanish Succession, command of the regiment subsequently passed to N. de Mancini in February 1708, to Louis de Clermont-Tonnerre, Marquis de Chastes, on 16 May 1709, and finally to N. de Clermont-Montoison on 15 April 1710. The regiment remained under the latter’s command until its disbandment in 1714.

The regiment first saw active service in 1705, when it took part in the conquest of the County of Nice. In the following year, it was sent to Piedmont and participated in the Siege of Turin with two battalions from May to September 1706. On 7 September, both battalions were involved in the Battle of Turin, which ended in a disastrous defeat for the Franco-Spanish army and forced the besieging forces to abandon their operations.

In 1707, the regiment continued to serve in the Alpine theatre, where it was employed in the defence of the French frontier following the retreat from Piedmont.




Drapeau d'Ordonnance




Drapeau Colonel



Regiment La Feuillade - Drummer



Regiment La Feuillade - Officer


2 comments:

  1. I must compliment you on all the information you are providing it is some of the best (in English) available through the internet. For information on the War of the Spanish Succession my daily visit has been to the Kronoskaf website and I have now added yours to my daily routine. I must admit that being based in the UK the WSS in Italy wasn't well known to me and your articles are very informative. I've been enjoying your details about the siege of Turin. I my humble opinion your illustrations of the uniforms, flags and maps are first class. Thank you for your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michael, thank you very much for your very kind message. It means a lot to me. I am truly happy to help English - speakers to understand also this part of WSS. It is true that the AI helps a lot (not this text by the way); as you may have noticed I am cooperating with Kronoskaf for the Savoy-Piedmontese Army. I am collecting a lot of info, because Piedmontese were (are?) really maniacs for detailled information (Imagine I have the names of all the commanders of the Militia Battalions at the Siege of Turin and their jobs!). I am improving here the French Army, going beyond the info of Kronoskaf (it is possibile Richard - the site's Author - will add also some of my articles on this topic.) I am very happy you like the illustrations and uniforms and flags. I will be keeping on adding info about this period, taking pictures of corners of the town totally forgotten where there are still some walls of the past. Thank again. Grazie. Michele

    ReplyDelete