Saturday, May 6, 2017

PIKE & SHOT'S THEORY AND PRACTICE 1676 DANEMARK

I have to admit that I always had problem to fully understand how in the practice worked the pike & shot unit during the XVII Century. I put this question and topic also in THE MINIATURE PAGE and I got some good tips, but still when I am working with my unit at 1:1 ratio I have my problems and doubts.
Top: here we have a Danish Battalion of the Bremer Regiment in the Scanian War (1676) at 1:1 ratio (about 300 papersoldiers); in this picture the unit is standing normally, with pikes up and marching archibusers.
Bottom: a better view of this fierce unit at the Battle of Halmstad 1676.
 What I decided to do in order to recreate the real fascionation of the battle was to produce also (more) papesoldiers, with different positions. In this case I made the first line of the unit with fighting arms. Using the magnets to hold them fast, it's quite simple to remove and substitute them (about 10 seconds) and the unit will be ready and the papersoldiers well held on the field
Bottom: I did the same with the pikes: so they are in the fighting position too. I had to remake the 100% of the pikes, for the reasons I will show you later.

Bottom: finally the same unit in the fighting position: 1 center unit with pike down on 4 files and 2 side units with muskets on 6 lines
..
Top: as aforementioned the problem is to understand how they will array in case of attack (infantry/cavalry). 
Having to extend the front of the pikes I moved also the 2 back rows to the front (for that reason I  had to remake the total of the pikes); I held 2 musketeers units behind, protectec, with 2 other shooting units were positioned on the side to cover the pikes from side attacks.
Bottom: a detail of the pikes.
 Bottom: complete vision of the supposed array (defensive)


Top: in the last picture the same unit in a defensive array against cavalry.
This is just an idea how it worked. Do you have tips on this topic?

No comments:

Post a Comment