Wednesday, January 10, 2024

PUNIC WARS - ROMAN TRIREME 2nd PART

I have to admit I started to like to make this trireme. From the original template I went on, increasing a lot of details that I would love to point out here:

1st detail: THE RAM

Originally, it was done in this way. But if we consider that the template reproduces the trireme floating, i.e. with a part of the skull under the waterline, the ram schould be (partially) under the waterline.

Picture 1 - The original ram


So I decided to remake it (bronze colour, like the original) and half of it (being the second half under the water line. Here bottom the result:
Picture 2 - The modified ram


2nd detail: THE HATCHWAY/GRATE. In this case, it was just depicted, and I did 3D
Picture 3 - The 2D grate

Picture 4 - The 3D grate


3rd detail: THE STERN & its DECORATIONS

I really did not like the way originally the stern was looking (bottom here)

Picture 4 - The original stern


So after preparing a  (first) different decoration and checking how to glue it, I had to trim a little bit the original stern. 
Picture 5 - Trimming of the original stern decoration


Finally (picture 6) I glued the new decoration
Picture 6 - The (first) new stern


But I was not happy with the final result, so I went on and again after trimming and glueing I finally achieved the desided result. This is a real Roman stern (picture 7)

Picture 7 - The second stern



4rd detail: THE BOW& its DECORATIONS

Also the bow had to undergo some deep modifications. Originally, it was like in picture 8 (bottom)

Picture 8 the original bow

Picture 9.  The original bow cut

Picture 10.  The original bow cut nr 2


Finally I glued the new bow in front, with a very big eye and a different motif (much more elaborated)

Picture 11  The new bow 



5th detail: THE UPPER EDGES

In the previous picture (nr. 11) it is also possible to see the upper edge of the trireme. I decided to modify also this (picture 12). I substituted the simple fence with white shields and a passage for the soldiers to embark on the trireme done with matches.

Picture 12 The new upper edge 


The final result (with removable sails) is as in pictures nr 13 and 14

Picture 13 The Roman Trireme with legionaries 

Picture 14 with the sail 


No comments:

Post a Comment