Friday, December 29, 2023

PUNIC WARS - ROMAN TRIREME FOR 30 mm PAPERSOLDIERS

 It has been since long a verydream of mine to be able to make with paper (and glue and wood) a Roman trireme (and a Venetian Galley, but this is another history) matching my 30mm tall papersoldiers. 





So, after long time - and I still don't know why I did it - I went (again) and I bought the paper models of Wargame Vault 

https://www.wargamevault.com/account_history_info.php?order_id=42131631 

for a 1/300 scale Roman Galley, matching with 6 mm soldiers.



My goal was hence to up-scale the trireme, adding details and trying to adjust where I could the very good template I've gotten.

Firstly I had to remake a little more precise the proportions of the trireme, considering it 40 m long and just 5.5 meters wide, so a sort of long  (and unstable) boat; to do that I used my papersoldiers 30 mm tall, considering them in reality as 2 m tall (actually with the long feathers on their head, considering a man of the epoch 165/170 cm tall, plus 30 cm helmet and feathers)




Once this done, I glued it on a thicker cardboard in order to give to this a shape and a sort of resistance.


I did the same with the main deck and I put the deck inside the boards, as explained by the original instructions. Then I started to have some problems with details. For example the protections of the deck were too high in comparation with my minifigures (bottom)


I decided then to make it shorter in order to let the soldiers see something during the navigation



I then used toothpicks to reinforce all the structure of the boat and giving a precise shape to it. The resul was quite good (Bottom)




Here (above) an first idea of what was meant to be. But still a lot to be done....



No comments:

Post a Comment