Tuesday, February 6, 2024

1866 BATTLE OF CUSTOZA. THE SOURCES

 Many times,when you start a project, what is really lascking is the possibility to investigate with access to the original sources.

Reproducing the Battle of Custoza of 1866 is the same.

To be able to understand the dynamic of that huge battle I found - for the moment - 2 interesting book about the battle.


1) CUSTOZA (1866) written by General ALberto Pollio, for the Ministero della Guerra. I decided to go for the fourth edition dating 1935 - A. XIII, even though the cover is a little bit misleading and you will understand why.




This book has 300 pages with 5 maps. I publish here 2 maps of the Battle. As far as I know this are the best ever done and the first time they are published on internet.



Obvioulsy, to have details of the battle is not enough. I bought a lot of book concerning uniforms of that period:


The second book I bought concerning the Battle of Custoza is "Custoza 1866 - La via italiana alla sconfitta" written by Marco Gioannini and Giulio Massaro for Rizzoli.(2003)


385 pages and just one map of the battle (!)

No comments:

Post a Comment