Thursday, August 20, 2026

PRINCE EUGENE OF SAVOY'S PAINTING OF HIS VICTORIES (GALLERIA SABAUDA TURIN)

 Sometimes the most interesting things are right on our doorstep. The Galleria Sabauda, housed in the Royal Palace of Turin, preserves the collection of paintings that once belonged to Prince Eugene of Savoy and which his heiress sold to the King of Sardinia in 1738.

Alongside paintings of various subjects, particularly interesting are ten works depicting the Prince’s victories, which he himself commissioned to celebrate his undisputed military genius. I photographed them and, for the first time, I am presenting all ten together.

I also tried to examine the uniforms shown in the paintings, but my impression is that they were either largely invented or not rendered with any particular attention to detail. In any case, from a visual point of view, the paintings provide a vivid impression of the landscape and overall setting of each individual battle.

Battle of Belgrad


Battle of Luzzara


Battle of Turin



Battle of Cassano



Battle of Zenta




Battle of Oudenarde


Battle of Hochstedt/Blenheim


Battle of Petervaradin


Battle of Malplaquet



Battle of Chiari













No comments:

Post a Comment